Rameswaram temple darshan-Sacred travels
Pamban Island, the place which houses one of the char dhams- the Rameswaram temple is separated from India by the Pamban channel. Mythology shows this channel as the bridge built by Lord Rama through which he entered Lanka and freed his wife Sita from Ravana. The Rameswaram Temple Darshan can be found in the center for the Pamban Island and has thousands of visitors both on and off season.Have you ever been to Rameshvaram Temple Darshan? Well, there are 6 temples where devotees come in large growing numbers. We have gathered all the information you need about Rameshvaram Temple Darshan.
Rameswaram Temple Darshan
It is crucial that correct darshan procedure be followed to offer Pooja at the main Rameswaram temple. The temple management is very strict in terms of who performs the puja and only Hindus are allowed to do it.
For the ease of navigating through the temple premises and the darshan rituals, hire a guide for a mere Rs 200 to Rs 400. So, let’s start the darshan
- Mani Darshanam– also known as Spatikha Linga Darshanam is all about watching the natural crystal Sphatic first in the morning hours which is at the main temple. The timings specified for this darshan is 5:00 am to 6:00 am. The guide usually informs you about the puja rituals and specifies if a bath is required or not. For a mini darshan like this, the guide suggests that a bath is not important but according to the Hindu Holy Scriptures a bath before entering the temple premises is mandatory.
- Samudra Snanam– As the name suggests, Samandra snanam is bathing in the sea which is 300 meters from the temple. With no tides as such, the sea is quite shallow here and quite serene. It is said that the sea surrendered to Lord Rama and has since been calm.
- Teerth Snanam– This means a holy bath. Rameswaram temple has a total of 22 wells which are said to hold holy water from various places. You have to take a bath at each of these wells as the price is Rs25/- per person. There are temple attendees at each well who will drench you with water from the wells.
- Main Pooja– For the main Pooja you will need to dry yourself and change into fresh pair of clothes. There are various prices set for the puja and the basic one starts at Rs 111/-. Guides can arrange for a priest to perform the Pooja rituals and the cost can vary from Rs 500 to Rs 1000/. The priest will offer grass, leaves, milk and other offerings to Lord Shiva on your behalf in the main temple. He will also ask you to recite some shlokas along with him and tell you stories about Rameswaram.
- At 12 noon, delicious prasadam is distributed near the inner entry of the temple so do not forget to get in queue for it.
The deity resides in our hearts and thus it is rightly said that our body is also a temple. I hope the description of the darshan above has ignited a desire to visit Rameswaram temple darshan in your heart.
Also know about Spiritual Quest – Knowing The Temples of Hyderabad