Inflation or no inflation, the one thing that doesn’t stop is eating. “Got to eat to survive”. Street food is
also one such commodity we cannot stay away from. Be it rainy, windy or sunny, a bite of street food in
Hyderabad will make the day better.
So what is street food in Hyderabad? The options are unlimited. One can see a mix culture of food on
the streets of Hyderabad. It’s actually amazing to see people from various backgrounds and walks of life
come together to have a taste.
The famous street food in Hyderabad is as follows:
1. Dosa: Be it midnight or early morning this street food in Hyderabad is always available to fill
your tummys. Hot Dosa topped with potato masala sprinkled with cheese is a full meal. Many
even prefer plain butter dosa with tea. There are various varieties of dosa available like paneer
dosa, kheema dosa, cheese dosa etc.
2. Chaats: this street food in Hyderabad is extremely popular with the youth. Chaat stalls serve a
delicacy called pani-puri which is tangy and sweet at the same time. Its small puffed puri’s
stuffed with chana and onions served with tangy green chili flavored water. It’s a melt in your
delicacy which gives a burst of flavours in every bite. A sweet chutney is also added on request
and its yummy.
3. Shawarmas: An Arabic dish that caters to the need of non-vegeterian and vegetarian food
lovers. This street food in Hyderabad is of Middle Eastern origin and very famous among the
crowds. The vegetarian shawarmas are made from Falafel-a round patty made from chana dal
and other ingredients. The meat lovers gorge on chicken, mutton or beef shawarma topped with
mayonnaise chutney and cucumber salad with potato fries. If street food in Hyderabad gets
documented, shawarma will be first on the list.
4. Hyderabad haleem: Another street food in Hyderabad which is a nawabi dish to calm the hungry
soul. It’s a blend of meat, spices, pulses and wheat. A whole meal in itself, this street food in
Hyderabad is very famous and mostly during the Ramadan month.
5. Phirni: A melt in your mouth sweet delicacy made from fragrant rice and condensed milk. A
pinch of saffron on top and you are good to go. This street food in Hyderabad is served chilled in
small earthern clay pots and is a feast for the wandering eyes as well.
6. Lukhmi: A stuffed delicacy; this street food in Hyderabad is made of stuffed meat or even
vegetables mix in flattened dough and folded into half. It actually resembles an envelope that
opens to give good news. It is deep fried and served lukewarm. Best eaten with masala chai.
7. Chai: Irani chai is very famous in hyderbad. More better known as liquid gold this street food in
Hyderabad is always available on even corner or in every other food eatery. A hyderabadi and a
cup of chai go well together. Be it masala chai or plain decotion, chai is an energy drink for all.
Irani chai is best described as the Soul of Hyderabad.