Kolkata is more than just the Howrah bridge, its puchkas and mishti dois.Once the capital of British India, Kolkata is packed with historic culture and became a trademark for the fusion of culture and history. The elaborate architectural marvels of Kolkata speak immensely about the wealth, wonders and prosperity of India. Here are the top ten places one must not miss on their trip to Kolkata.
1. Victoria Memorial: Victoria Memorial is probably the first monument to celebrate the 25-year rule of Queen Victoria is India. The luxurious structure made using white marblesand is the morror image of Victoria Memorial, which is located in London. The memorial stands tall along the banls of Hooghly river. It is one of the most famous places to visit in Kolkata.
2. Birla Planetarium: The Birla Planetarium is renowned as the second largest planetarium in the world and the first largest planetarium in Asia. This planetarium was built by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru with the intention to advance in the world of science and to spark the young minds.
3. Indian Museum: Being the ninth oldest museum in the world, India museum is the perfect space for people who love history. This museum consists of various artifacts to celebrate the rich history of India. If you want to know more about Kolkata and India then this is the meuseum you shouldn’t miss.
4. Mother House: Currently housing 4,500 catholic sisters, Mother House was established by Mother Teresa. This house helps the needy till today and a portion of this house is where Mother Teresa rests. It celebrates the work and life of Mother Teresa so here is another reason to vist the famous place of Kolkata.
5. Marble Palace Mansion: The Marble palace Mansion is a paradise for art lovers. Today this mansion exhibits the priced art possessions which were painted by national and international artists including Van Gogh and Reuben. This Palace also consists of a zoo exhibiting rare species of birds and animals.
6. St. Paul’s Cathedral: As the first Episcopalian church in Asia, St. Paul’s Cathedral is eye-pleasing with its Indo-Gothic style architecture. The best time to visit this Anglican cathedral of Kolkata is during the festive times of Christmas and New year.
7. Science City: Stated as one of the finest and the largest science museums in the world, Science city is well known for its methods that intrigue minds with science. The activities one could take part in the Science city are filled with fun and learning and this feature makes it one of the finest in the world.
8. Eden Gardens stadium: As the second largest stadium in the world, Eden Garden stadium can fit in 66,349 people to sit back and enjoy edgy sports. Built in 1864, it is the oldest cricket stadium in India. Legends have played and scord on this field so head over and enjoy its glory.
9. Jorasanko Thakur Bari: Jorasanko Thakur Bari is the home of Rabindranath Tagore and his forefathers. This ancestral home of the Noble laureate is now home to painting, artifacts and literary gems penned by Rabindranath Tagore.
10. Rabindra Sarovar: To watch migrating birds, there is no place better than Rabindra Sarovar. This place is well known as a recreational spot for both locals and visitors.